Skip to main content

One Roster Spot Left

We are officially one month away from pitchers and catchers reporting to spring training, and it appears as if Brian Sabean and the Giants front office aren't looking to add much to the current roster. Sabean has continued to stay at a stand-still ever since the Aaron Rowand signing a month ago. There have been indications that the Giants may go into spring training without a clear cut 1st or 3rd basemen as they are willing to wait and see if they can't work a deal for a corner infielder during the spring. They only have one spot open on their 40 man roster, so unless they work a trade or cut somebody, they can only go out and sign one more free agent. They also could decide to sign a reliever to fill that spot as there are still a few decent ones on the market (Akinori Otsuka, Jeremy Affeldt, Shawn Chacon and Octavio Dotel) but I would be very surprised if the spot didn't go to Pedro Feliz. For a while last week it looked like Feliz had some suitors and that he may leave San Francisco after all. The Brewers were a team that showed some interest in Feliz, but they just signed Mike Cameron which pushes Bill Hall to 3rd and fills that vacancy. The Cardinals were another possibility after they dealt Rolen, but Rolen ended up getting dealt for Troy Glaus so that killed whatever interest they may have had in Pedro.

Outside of a likely Pedro Feliz, 2 year, 10+ million dollar signing, I wouldn't expect much action as far as roster moves go from here on out. Again, a reliever or utility infielder could be added or brought to camp, but any chance of swinging a trade for a young 3rd or 1st basemen this winter gets smaller as the chances of a Feliz signing grow bigger. If it's between signing Feliz to a 2 year deal, or giving the job to Aurilia and Frandsen, I am all for going with the platoon. No use in tying up money into a guy you don't want or necessarily need. It makes much more sense to invest money in a guy like Otsuka, who could come in and be an impact arm in the bullpen and help this pitching staff grow as a whole when he gets healthy. In my opinion, a healthy Otsuka, Dotel or Chacon would help this team out more than Pedro Feliz and I just hope Brian Sabean can figure that out as well.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Otsuka>Feliz and it's not even close. I agree, but I'm just not sure Otsuka is %100 healthy, I thought he had surgery last year.
Marc said…
Great post.

I run a Rays' blog over at raysbaseball.blogspot.com

Would you like to trade links with each other?
Anonymous said…
They need a first basemen, third basemen and 3 relievers, how is Sabean still sitting on his hands? Fire Sabean!!!
Anonymous said…
I know the giants aren't expected to win any division titles or wild card birhts this year so why not just stick with what they have. Seems like standing pat is the most logical thing to do this year with this team.
benjshap said…
Here's a blog bost about when the Giants were in a better place:

http://benjshap.com/2008/01/19/will-clark-a-san-francisco-sports-legend/
Anonymous said…
I'm sick of Feliz. I wish Sabean had made a move earlier. He's just scared he'll make the wrong one. Get rid of him.
Anonymous said…
I don't think Sabean will stay quiet for the rest of the month. I predict one of the following 3 to sign at some point: Tony Clark, Pedro Feliz, Brad Wilkerson.
Trevor said…
Wilkerson as a 1bmen could be worth an invite to camp to compete with Dan Ortmeier. He has some interesting tools but his average and obp have been declining the last couple years. I would rather take a flier on him than Clark though. He hit 20 home runs in 338 ab's last year showing he hasn't lost any pop. I think a move back to the NL would help him.
Anonymous said…
I'm supriswed at how many fa's there still are this late in the offseason. Looks like a lot of proven guys are going to have to settle for 1 year deals or invites to camp.
Unknown said…
I will do anything to get rid of Feliz at third this year. Every time he comes to the plate I can't help but think he's going to strike out. I've seen it too many times. I'd start Frandsen at third and give the full-time spot to Durham at second this year. - San Francisco Giants Blog

Popular posts from this blog

WORLD SERIES: Giants Move Up 2-0 on Texas

PreGame After taking game one in a surprising slug-fest , the Giants look to go up 2-0 on the Rangers in the World Series on Thursday night. The Giants are sending out Matt Cain, a guy who I'm sure every Giants' fan is pretty confident in. He'll be a opposed by C.J. Wilson, who's in his first year as a full-time starter, but has been brilliant in the role. He did struggle his last time out though, so hopefully the Giants can get to him early and get into his head a bit. I'm going to do something I've never done here on this unique occasion, and sort of do an in-game post. updating this post every time I feel I have something to add. So go Giants, and be sure to check back throughout the game, and after, to vent or whatever! As long as Matt Cain keeps rolling, and the Giants keep coming up with those clutch 2-out hits, we should be OK. Texas has that high-powered offense that can score in a hurry, as we saw last night, so the Giants cannot let down and have to t

Giants Notes: Lincecum Signs, Ross to Boston

Well, even though I touched on it a little bit in our last post, I haven't really had a chance to get my thoughts out on the new Lincecum deal since he and the Giants agreed earlier in the week. Also, on the other end of things, the Giants missed out on shoring up their outfield by letting Cody Ross sign in Boston for only $3 million in 2012. First off, obviously, wanted to talk a bit about Lincecum. I've already said here that I didn't expect him to sign a long-term deal that takes him through free agency, but it doesn't mean he wants to leave San Francisco like everyone is suspecting. I mean, if I were Lincecum, I'd probably do the same thing, even if I planned on eventually signing with the Giants long-term. Why take a chance at mitigating your value to just sign a deal? Granted, a 5 year, $100 million deal isn't anything to sneeze at, in this market, if he were a free agent, Lincecum could probably easily command a 8 year, $200 million deal. If he could get

Giants Still Need Infield Help

On Saturday, the Giants finalized a 2 year contract extension with Freddy Sanchez, who they acquired in July for Tim Alderson. The new deal for Sanchez will pay him 12 million over the next 2 seasons instead of 8.5 million for just 2010, which was his option for 2010. I've voiced my disappointment in Sanchez a few times here since the Giants dealt for him over the summer. He wasn't able to stay on the field full time to help this club with their run at the NL Wild Card, and even when he was in there, he didn't seem to make much of an impact in th e lineup. Now, I wasn't necessarily hoping the Giants would cut ties with Sanchez (they probably would have had to pay 4 million or so to buy him out), just didn't think he was worth upwards of 10 million dollars, and would have liked to see the Giants pursue someone like Orlando Hudson with that money. The Giants already have an infielder who's being paid about 3-4 times what his play over the last 2 seasons would indi