Skip to main content

Spring Training Notes

Most all of the Giants' 40-man roster had arrived in camp Monday, with the first full squad workout of the spring scheduled for Tuesday morning. Not much new news to talk about yet, but that should change Tuesday when the whole calvary goes to work. Most of the talk around the camp so far has been about the Giants' impending second base battle as well as their new philosophy on running more as a team. It seems like they have been talking about running more every year for a while now, but this year they are actually going to have to do some things on the bases in order to produce runs. Outside of Aaron Rowand and Bengie Molina, I would be pleasantly surprised to see any other player on the current roster top 15 home runs or 75 RBI's this year, so they are going to have to manufacture runs and taking extra bases will be crucial. Everybody in the Giants projected starting lineup is a threat to take a base except for Molina so they have the pieces to enforce that kind of baseball if they so choose.

Both Ray Durham and Kevin Frandsen seem to be taking the forthcoming battle for the starting second base job very well as they were both joking around on the field Monday. I will be surprised if Ray Durham doesn't rebound and claim the everyday job this spring. It would benefit the Giants as well to give Durham the chance at getting his stroke back. Ever since Durham signed with the Giants, prior to last year, he's arguably been the Giants' second most important hitter besides Barry Bonds. If he can regain some of his pre-2007 form, he would not only help out this teams' punchless offense, but he also would give them a nice trading chip come June and July. There also is the chance that Frandsen could start the year as the starting third basemen if the Giants don't make any additions this spring. Eugenio Velez is another guy that needs to be given strong consideration at getting a roster spot and time at second base. It would be interesting for Bochy to have the option of playing Frandsen at third base and Eugenio Velez at second. Velez could very well be the fastest player in the Giants' organization and he has come to camp and impressed management early on.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have a two new reasons to like the Giants this year:

No Bonds

One Aaron Rowand (You'll love him!)...sad part is topping 15 HRs and 75 RBIs for Rowand is kinda weak. The Giants lineup is sub-par and Rowand is going to be asked to do a lot. He'll be a great guy to lead the youth as the Giants rebuild but based on numbers he'll underperform his contract

of course, i don't really think the 12 a year was strictly to produce runs and patrol center
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
I like Rowand, but they did overpay, and I think his defense is a lil overrated....

Velez is soooo skiny, buy has blazing speed. Very exciting player.
Anonymous said…
well, everything i've heard has lead me to believe the phils offered 5 years 48 mil (1 less year at 12 mil, essentially) and let rowand walk to the giants for it...

I really think it was stupid because they seemed willing to add the payroll this season and I don't see where else they would have added significant salary...especially because they were considering lowell at essentially the same amount anyways...

Anyway, I think Rowand's clubhouse presence will be missed in Philly...which will also be my rational should the phils finish 3rd in the NL East...

Sorry Davis, but I had this thought out for months...and I have it documented...somewhere, Pat Burrell is heckling me...asshole
Trevor Cole said…
Yeah, Rowand is being paid to be more than a solid center fielder and hitter. He's already taken on the role as team leader and has embraced it very well. Seems like he's rubbing off on other players already, especially the young guys like Frandsen. I don't expect much from this Giants team in '08, but I am anxious to see the new brand of ball they are supposedly implementing this spring. Also anxious to see which of these youngsters are for real.
Anonymous said…
I read an article the other day, I think it was on Dugout Central, which listed the top ten players most likely to be traded by the deadline....Ray Durham was ranked I believe third.
Anonymous said…
are you surprised...

I think Durham might keep his job because the giants want to keep his value up...
Anonymous said…
I'm embarrassed to say that the Giants are a team that I know next to nothing about. I think for so long they have been characterized (at least in the media) by Barry Bonds and I've never really paid much attention to them after that. It'll be interesting to see how they fare in this new era they are about to begin. I look forward to learning more, and this is a good start.
Anonymous said…
Eugenio looked pretty comfortable on his "home" turf at Scottsdale, by the way. He was taking extra grounders - Saturday, keep in mind...

Saw a bunch of the media guys from the Chron, Etc. To bad I don't know who any of them are.

Not much to report, though...

Telling him "But I'm good was not enough..."
blogger said…
@JuTMSY4, yeah, no Bonds, and Ray can more than bring it.

Hey why no comments about Barry Zito regarding Barry Bonds today???



http://barrybondstrial.blogspot.com/
Anonymous said…
What about barry zito and Bonds?
Anonymous said…
I'd still like to see them get a cleanup hitter. I'd take Chavez over Crede if both were healthy. He has experience as a 4 hitter and is a great clubhouse guy. Not sure what his contract situation is though?
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

WORLD SERIES: Giants Move Up 2-0 on Texas

PreGame After taking game one in a surprising slug-fest , the Giants look to go up 2-0 on the Rangers in the World Series on Thursday night. The Giants are sending out Matt Cain, a guy who I'm sure every Giants' fan is pretty confident in. He'll be a opposed by C.J. Wilson, who's in his first year as a full-time starter, but has been brilliant in the role. He did struggle his last time out though, so hopefully the Giants can get to him early and get into his head a bit. I'm going to do something I've never done here on this unique occasion, and sort of do an in-game post. updating this post every time I feel I have something to add. So go Giants, and be sure to check back throughout the game, and after, to vent or whatever! As long as Matt Cain keeps rolling, and the Giants keep coming up with those clutch 2-out hits, we should be OK. Texas has that high-powered offense that can score in a hurry, as we saw last night, so the Giants cannot let down and have to t

Giants Still Need Infield Help

On Saturday, the Giants finalized a 2 year contract extension with Freddy Sanchez, who they acquired in July for Tim Alderson. The new deal for Sanchez will pay him 12 million over the next 2 seasons instead of 8.5 million for just 2010, which was his option for 2010. I've voiced my disappointment in Sanchez a few times here since the Giants dealt for him over the summer. He wasn't able to stay on the field full time to help this club with their run at the NL Wild Card, and even when he was in there, he didn't seem to make much of an impact in th e lineup. Now, I wasn't necessarily hoping the Giants would cut ties with Sanchez (they probably would have had to pay 4 million or so to buy him out), just didn't think he was worth upwards of 10 million dollars, and would have liked to see the Giants pursue someone like Orlando Hudson with that money. The Giants already have an infielder who's being paid about 3-4 times what his play over the last 2 seasons would indi

Giants Notes: Lincecum Signs, Ross to Boston

Well, even though I touched on it a little bit in our last post, I haven't really had a chance to get my thoughts out on the new Lincecum deal since he and the Giants agreed earlier in the week. Also, on the other end of things, the Giants missed out on shoring up their outfield by letting Cody Ross sign in Boston for only $3 million in 2012. First off, obviously, wanted to talk a bit about Lincecum. I've already said here that I didn't expect him to sign a long-term deal that takes him through free agency, but it doesn't mean he wants to leave San Francisco like everyone is suspecting. I mean, if I were Lincecum, I'd probably do the same thing, even if I planned on eventually signing with the Giants long-term. Why take a chance at mitigating your value to just sign a deal? Granted, a 5 year, $100 million deal isn't anything to sneeze at, in this market, if he were a free agent, Lincecum could probably easily command a 8 year, $200 million deal. If he could get