Skip to main content

Giants Un-officially Out of Race

After making a nice push last week after they beat the Rockies in 2 of 3 games in San Francisco and moved to within 2.5 games of them, it looked like the Giants were going to take this race down to the wire. However, they've really started to fall apart on their recent road trip, and sit 5 games back of the Rockies with just 11 games to go.

Now, I've seen weirder things happen than a team overcoming a 5 game deficit with just 11 to go, but the Giants seem to be struggling more and more each day while the Rockies look determined to seal this thing up. After Tim Lincecum got roughed up by LA on Sunday, and then seeing Matt Cain get pounded around by the D-Backs in Tuesday's loss, I think it's finally sunk in that the Giants are not going to be a playoff team in 2009. They just don't look like a team that's playing with urgency or are fighting for their playoff lives. Maybe it's just me, but I'm really not seeing it. Their starting pitching, which has been what's really carried them all season long, has all of the sudden hit the wall. It's understandable, it is late September after all, but once their pitching starts to take a dip, then it really causes a ripple effect on the whole team. None of their starters have gone at least 5 innings yet on this road-trip in which they're 2-3, and the starting rotation is carrying an era of 13.25 in those contests and I'm a little surprised they've figured out a way to win 2 games with those kind of starting performances.

Don't get me wrong though, they've done much more than I, or any other fan likely expected coming into the year, and are still playing meaningful games in late September, which is something they haven't done in 5 years here. This season has been very much a success story for this franchise. It's tough to look at it that way at the moment, because they're struggling and likely will fail to make the playoffs, but the fact that we're even mentioning them with the playoffs in the same sentence is a step in the right direction. What I'd like to see them do over this final week and of half of the 2009 season is put Buster Posey, Madison Bumgarner and some of their other young players to work to see if these guys can be counted on at the beginning of 2010. I'm a little surprised that Buster Posey isn't getting more time behind the plate (played in just 3 games this month). Bengie Molina is a free agent after the year and I don't foresee the Giants re-signing him and I don't think they're planning on investing in another catcher from outside the organization, so they better throw Posey into the mix and see if he's ready. Bumgarner has gotten a little more work than Posey, and hasn't missed a beat. He's gone 8 innings, allowing just 2 runs on 2 solo home runs, and 7 hits while striking out 9 batters. I don't know that the Giants will insert him into the rotation to star the 2010 season, but I'm definitely expecting Bumgarner to have an impact on the 2010 season early, kind of like Tim Lincecum did in 2007.

Comments

Giant Fan Dan said…
What about Gillespie and Brandon Crawford? I was really hoping to see more of the young guys this September. I guess it's because they're so close to the wild card and they want to keep playing the vets.
Tony said…
Hey did you see this? The Alderson/Sanchez trade keeps getting better...

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_13407708

"[Freddy] Sanchez said he knew he would need offseason surgery even before the Giants completed the July 29 trade."
Unknown said…
Yeah, I had a bad feeling about that deal all along and felt the Garko deal was Shea Hillenbrand part. 2... Just waiting for Scott Barnes to become an impact arm for Cleveland... I really think it would be wise for the Giants to try and cut ties with Sanchez, too injury prone and he just isn't that good. I would not give him a 2 year extension or give offer him any more than 4-5 million a year. I'd rather head into 2010 with Velez penciled in at second.
give buster posey a shot. this kid can play. been watching him since he was with florida st.

Popular posts from this blog

WORLD SERIES: Giants Move Up 2-0 on Texas

PreGame After taking game one in a surprising slug-fest , the Giants look to go up 2-0 on the Rangers in the World Series on Thursday night. The Giants are sending out Matt Cain, a guy who I'm sure every Giants' fan is pretty confident in. He'll be a opposed by C.J. Wilson, who's in his first year as a full-time starter, but has been brilliant in the role. He did struggle his last time out though, so hopefully the Giants can get to him early and get into his head a bit. I'm going to do something I've never done here on this unique occasion, and sort of do an in-game post. updating this post every time I feel I have something to add. So go Giants, and be sure to check back throughout the game, and after, to vent or whatever! As long as Matt Cain keeps rolling, and the Giants keep coming up with those clutch 2-out hits, we should be OK. Texas has that high-powered offense that can score in a hurry, as we saw last night, so the Giants cannot let down and have to t

Giants Still Need Infield Help

On Saturday, the Giants finalized a 2 year contract extension with Freddy Sanchez, who they acquired in July for Tim Alderson. The new deal for Sanchez will pay him 12 million over the next 2 seasons instead of 8.5 million for just 2010, which was his option for 2010. I've voiced my disappointment in Sanchez a few times here since the Giants dealt for him over the summer. He wasn't able to stay on the field full time to help this club with their run at the NL Wild Card, and even when he was in there, he didn't seem to make much of an impact in th e lineup. Now, I wasn't necessarily hoping the Giants would cut ties with Sanchez (they probably would have had to pay 4 million or so to buy him out), just didn't think he was worth upwards of 10 million dollars, and would have liked to see the Giants pursue someone like Orlando Hudson with that money. The Giants already have an infielder who's being paid about 3-4 times what his play over the last 2 seasons would indi

Giants Notes: Lincecum Signs, Ross to Boston

Well, even though I touched on it a little bit in our last post, I haven't really had a chance to get my thoughts out on the new Lincecum deal since he and the Giants agreed earlier in the week. Also, on the other end of things, the Giants missed out on shoring up their outfield by letting Cody Ross sign in Boston for only $3 million in 2012. First off, obviously, wanted to talk a bit about Lincecum. I've already said here that I didn't expect him to sign a long-term deal that takes him through free agency, but it doesn't mean he wants to leave San Francisco like everyone is suspecting. I mean, if I were Lincecum, I'd probably do the same thing, even if I planned on eventually signing with the Giants long-term. Why take a chance at mitigating your value to just sign a deal? Granted, a 5 year, $100 million deal isn't anything to sneeze at, in this market, if he were a free agent, Lincecum could probably easily command a 8 year, $200 million deal. If he could get