Skip to main content

Giants' Roster Shaping up for Spring

After the Giants inked Bengie Molina to a 1-year, $4.5 million dollar deal last week to shore up their starting catching spot, the Giants appear to have their roster set as Spring Training begins in just a few short weeks.

The one piece of news that surfaced last week, and something that could very well impact the potential opening day lineup, was that Freddy Sanchez recently went under the knife in order to clean out his shoulder. The surgery will apparently keep the 2-time all-star and former batting champion out for all of spring training and could cause him to start the regular season on the DL. The Giants are counting on Sanchez to be a huge part of their offense and anchor the top part of their order, especially since they don't have a true leadoff man, so they're going to be very cautious with his rehab. This is where that re-signing of Juan Uribe pays off so big. Instead of having to re-work their whole lineup plan and move Mark DeRosa from left field to second base, they can simply insert Uribe and keep the rest of the lineup as planned. DeRosa could get also get some looks at second, but I think the Giants are going to want to keep him in the outfield as much as possible, as they don't have a ton of outfield depth at the moment. They could have had Xavier Nady, who in my mind would have fit in perfectly with the Giants, at around $4 million for 2010 if they wanted, as he just signed a 1-year, $3.3 million deal with the Cubs. Don't be surprised to see him go to Wrigley and put up a big year, like .300, 25 homers and 90+ RBI, .850+ OPS big.

Since it appears that Sabean is no longer considering positional talent on the free agent market, it appears the only potential add for Giants from here on out would be a reliever or 2, or possibly a fifth starter. I believe Sabean as at a point in where he's not really pursuing anyone, but is probably monitoring a few guys (Chan Ho Park, Kiko Calero?) just in case they fail to find an employer in the next few weeks. I was kind of hoping the Giants would add a high-profile type starter to allow them to ease Madison Bumgarner into the mix like they're doing with Posey, but after seeing the contract the A's just singed Ben Sheets to, (1 year, $10 million guaranteed) I don't think they'd get anyone to fit their budget. Erik Bedard is still out there, but since Sheets got $10 million without pitching in 2009, Bedard is going to want a nice sum of money too, and he actually threw in 2009 and threw very well (for the parts when he was healthy). If the Giants surprise though like they did with Molina, and pull a rabbit out of their hat, imagine the potential of a Lincecum-Bedard-Cain-Sanchez-Zito fivesome? I think they'd be your NL West favorites, and with that staff, they could be the class of a wide open National League.

GBB Note: I was originally planning to do our top-prospect evaluation post today, but I've recently injured my thumb and currently have it in a splint. Unfortunately I can't type for as long as that post will take me at the moment, but I fully intend to have that up in our next post on Thursday, so be on the lookout for that.

Comments

hitnrun said…
The Giants actually do have outfield depth, but unfortunately it is the same people that were not quite good enough last year (Lewis, Torres, Velez, Bowker). Another big concern is lack of speed at the top of the lineup, Rowand and Sanchez/Renteria/Uribe are not burners, so even with better hitting depth the team will be station to station with few people going first to third on a hit. I would almost rather see Torres lead off in center, except that Bochy will play Rowand because Sabean gave him such an outrageous contract. Totally the wrong reason to play him.
Anonymous said…
Looks like the Giants lost a prospect. Don't know much about Duanal Jones, but apparently he failed a drug test or something. Giants not having good luck w/ their dominican prospects lately huh.
Trevor Cole said…
HitnRun,

Yeah, they have options in the outfield, but put those options you mentioned on most good teams, and they're all AAA players. And yes, the lack of speed is a concern, although Brian Sabean doesn't seem to prioritize it... This is where I think Byrnes would actually make some sense. I'm sorry but I think he's way more valuable than Andres Torres and/or Eugenio Velez.
Jason Billingsley said…
I agree with you regarding Nady Trevor. I think they should have signed him over DeRosa. They could have put him in left field and would have saved a bunch of money. I think Nady is a better hitter too. DeRosa does have the versatility issue on his side though, that's for sure. I just wish the Giants would have went a little younger. I do actually like the Huff signing though just cause he could hit 30 homers and is only costing 3 million. Not a bad gamble. Can he still play outfield?

J-Bill
King of Cali said…
The Giants have two players that made MLB.com's top 50 list. These are prospects. Posey #4 and Bumgarner #10. Our two players were even in the top 10. I have a lot of insight on them at SF Giants Rumors!

~King of Cali
All The Latest SF Giants Rumors
http://www.sfgiantsbaseball.net
Anonymous said…
Hi!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may begin earning with a money that usually is spent
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'm ready to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit my pages and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per daily now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]
Anonymous said…
Hmm that's amazing but to be honest i have a hard time seeing it... wonder how others think about this..
Anonymous said…
Good dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.

Popular posts from this blog

WORLD SERIES: Giants Move Up 2-0 on Texas

PreGame After taking game one in a surprising slug-fest , the Giants look to go up 2-0 on the Rangers in the World Series on Thursday night. The Giants are sending out Matt Cain, a guy who I'm sure every Giants' fan is pretty confident in. He'll be a opposed by C.J. Wilson, who's in his first year as a full-time starter, but has been brilliant in the role. He did struggle his last time out though, so hopefully the Giants can get to him early and get into his head a bit. I'm going to do something I've never done here on this unique occasion, and sort of do an in-game post. updating this post every time I feel I have something to add. So go Giants, and be sure to check back throughout the game, and after, to vent or whatever! As long as Matt Cain keeps rolling, and the Giants keep coming up with those clutch 2-out hits, we should be OK. Texas has that high-powered offense that can score in a hurry, as we saw last night, so the Giants cannot let down and have to t

Giants Notes: Lincecum Signs, Ross to Boston

Well, even though I touched on it a little bit in our last post, I haven't really had a chance to get my thoughts out on the new Lincecum deal since he and the Giants agreed earlier in the week. Also, on the other end of things, the Giants missed out on shoring up their outfield by letting Cody Ross sign in Boston for only $3 million in 2012. First off, obviously, wanted to talk a bit about Lincecum. I've already said here that I didn't expect him to sign a long-term deal that takes him through free agency, but it doesn't mean he wants to leave San Francisco like everyone is suspecting. I mean, if I were Lincecum, I'd probably do the same thing, even if I planned on eventually signing with the Giants long-term. Why take a chance at mitigating your value to just sign a deal? Granted, a 5 year, $100 million deal isn't anything to sneeze at, in this market, if he were a free agent, Lincecum could probably easily command a 8 year, $200 million deal. If he could get

Giants Still Need Infield Help

On Saturday, the Giants finalized a 2 year contract extension with Freddy Sanchez, who they acquired in July for Tim Alderson. The new deal for Sanchez will pay him 12 million over the next 2 seasons instead of 8.5 million for just 2010, which was his option for 2010. I've voiced my disappointment in Sanchez a few times here since the Giants dealt for him over the summer. He wasn't able to stay on the field full time to help this club with their run at the NL Wild Card, and even when he was in there, he didn't seem to make much of an impact in th e lineup. Now, I wasn't necessarily hoping the Giants would cut ties with Sanchez (they probably would have had to pay 4 million or so to buy him out), just didn't think he was worth upwards of 10 million dollars, and would have liked to see the Giants pursue someone like Orlando Hudson with that money. The Giants already have an infielder who's being paid about 3-4 times what his play over the last 2 seasons would indi