Skip to main content

Giants Stumped in SoCal

For the second year in a row, the Giants have rolled into Southern California for their first road trip of the season and have had their hands full with the Dodgers and Padres. The Giants suffered their first series loss of the young 2010 season over the weekend in LA, then were defeated Monday night in San Diego in the first game of that series.

The Giants' pitchers made just a few mistakes in LA which really ended up costing them the series. After another brilliant Barry Zito outing Friday, in which Zito went 7.1 innings allowing just 4 hits and a run with 3 strikeouts. However, the man who came in to replace him in that 8th inning, Sergio Romo, surrendered a 2-run homer to Manny Ramirez that ultimately won the game for the Dodgers, 2-1. In the other two games, the Giants offense exploded for 17 runs, but they still only managed to win one of them. The game they did win was the Tim Lincecum show in the series opener on Friday night. Timmy went 7 shutout innings, allowing just 4 hits while striking out 7, but that wasn't his only strong showing that night. He also went 3-4 at the plate and drove in 3 runs. Now the fact that the Giants lost 2 of 3 in LA didn't bother me too much, because had a few things gone a bit differently, they easily could have swept the series. What does concern me is how well the Dodgers played. They have been looking to really hit their stride in the early season and they may have done it against the Giants, cause they did really outplay the Giants.


It was even more disturbing to see them roll into San Diego Monday night and lose in extra innings via a David Eckstien walk-off home run off of Jeremy Affeldt. Matt Cain must be feeling a little bit of the '07-'08 curse he was struck with; lack of support from the bullpen and offense. Cain's thrown 3 quality games to start the year, including a 6 inning, 2 run, 4 strikeout performance on Monday night, and has nothing to show for it yet. I still have high hopes for Matty this year, and still believe he can improve on last years huge step forward. I just hope he doesn't start losing any confidence whatsoever, and I don't think that will be an issue. What is an issue though, and something we've discussed a few times here already is Andres Torres' lack of contribution. Bruce Bochy is still giving the guy a bunch of starts, and I understand that he's the only true center fielder with Rowand out, but the guy is just not hitting. Torres is just 2-18 so far with no runs or RBI. I also wouldn't mind seeing Darren Ford thrown into the fire so to speak. He isn't exactly hitting well in AA to start the year, but after the spring he had with the Giants, I think he'd come up with the confidence that he belongs.

The Giants must salvage these last two games in San Diego, as I'd hate to see them lose both of their series' down south, especially after such a strong start. They'll send Jonahtan Sanchez, who's coming off a dominant outing vs. Pittsburgh last week, to the mound vs. young Padres righty, Mat Latos. In Wednesday's finale, the Giants will again hand the ball to Todd Wellemeyer who really lost a lot of his room for error in his last start, to the mound hoping he can rebound from his outing in LA.


Note: I've recently been experiencing major computer problems, and haven't had full access to a computer over the last few days, hence the lack of posting over the last 5-7 days. I apologize for the inconvenience and we should be back to a normal posting schedule shortly!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I like the Giants chances this year, and I've been surprised by their offense so far. They need to get a better 5th starter though and they'd be bullet proof.
hitnrun said…
Isn't it funny how many times the one guy in the lineup who is in a horrible slump keeps coming up to bat in a crucial situation? What I don't get is that Bochy keeps playing Torres, so this keeps happening. I would rather see ANY of the 3 headed monster that is the outfield (Velez,Bowker,Schierholtz)than Torres, who really should have played himself off of the roster for Ford by now, except Bochy I guess,needs his defense. Darren Ford sure could not have done much worse than Torres has done.
Hello, I apologize for contacting you in this

fashion, but I think you might be interested in

submitting your site to my new sports

directory…at thesportszone.org

I'm assuming comments are moderated so

when I click submit this post won't

automatically appear on site, if it does, I again

apologize.
Giants Fan in Petaluma said…
This is getting irratating to watch!!!! Why have they all the sudden hit the wall?
Jason Billingsly said…
Will the Giants go after another bat at the trade deadline? I'd love to get Adam Dunn. Imagine having Dunn in left and moving DeRosa to right. Wonder if the Nats would take Schierholtz or Bowker and someone like Henry Sosa for Dunn. I do beleive he's in his final contract year? Do it Giants. One more big bat could really ge them over the hump. Scope this lineup:

CF Rowand
2B Sanchez
3B Sandoval
LF Dunn
RF DeRosa
1B Huff
C Molina
SS Renteria/Uribe

That's a lineup... Do it Sabean!

J-Bill
Schruender said…
Life is hard when your pitcher gives up one hit and still gets the loss.
King of Cali said…
The Giants did the same thing as last year. Getting swept by the Padres isn't good. That's a team that we should win the series. Two wins we should have on our record. I'm so glad baseball is 162 games, cause stuff like that happens to teams during a long season.

King of Cali
All The Latest SF Giants Rumors
http://www.sfgiantsbaseball.net
Hello, I apologize for contacting you in this

fashion, but I think you might be interested in

submitting your site to my new sports

directory…at lameassblogs.org

I'm assuming comments are moderated so

when I click submit this post won't

automatically appear on site, if it does, I again

apologize.

Popular posts from this blog

WORLD SERIES: Giants Move Up 2-0 on Texas

PreGame After taking game one in a surprising slug-fest , the Giants look to go up 2-0 on the Rangers in the World Series on Thursday night. The Giants are sending out Matt Cain, a guy who I'm sure every Giants' fan is pretty confident in. He'll be a opposed by C.J. Wilson, who's in his first year as a full-time starter, but has been brilliant in the role. He did struggle his last time out though, so hopefully the Giants can get to him early and get into his head a bit. I'm going to do something I've never done here on this unique occasion, and sort of do an in-game post. updating this post every time I feel I have something to add. So go Giants, and be sure to check back throughout the game, and after, to vent or whatever! As long as Matt Cain keeps rolling, and the Giants keep coming up with those clutch 2-out hits, we should be OK. Texas has that high-powered offense that can score in a hurry, as we saw last night, so the Giants cannot let down and have to t

Giants Notes: Lincecum Signs, Ross to Boston

Well, even though I touched on it a little bit in our last post, I haven't really had a chance to get my thoughts out on the new Lincecum deal since he and the Giants agreed earlier in the week. Also, on the other end of things, the Giants missed out on shoring up their outfield by letting Cody Ross sign in Boston for only $3 million in 2012. First off, obviously, wanted to talk a bit about Lincecum. I've already said here that I didn't expect him to sign a long-term deal that takes him through free agency, but it doesn't mean he wants to leave San Francisco like everyone is suspecting. I mean, if I were Lincecum, I'd probably do the same thing, even if I planned on eventually signing with the Giants long-term. Why take a chance at mitigating your value to just sign a deal? Granted, a 5 year, $100 million deal isn't anything to sneeze at, in this market, if he were a free agent, Lincecum could probably easily command a 8 year, $200 million deal. If he could get

Giants Still Need Infield Help

On Saturday, the Giants finalized a 2 year contract extension with Freddy Sanchez, who they acquired in July for Tim Alderson. The new deal for Sanchez will pay him 12 million over the next 2 seasons instead of 8.5 million for just 2010, which was his option for 2010. I've voiced my disappointment in Sanchez a few times here since the Giants dealt for him over the summer. He wasn't able to stay on the field full time to help this club with their run at the NL Wild Card, and even when he was in there, he didn't seem to make much of an impact in th e lineup. Now, I wasn't necessarily hoping the Giants would cut ties with Sanchez (they probably would have had to pay 4 million or so to buy him out), just didn't think he was worth upwards of 10 million dollars, and would have liked to see the Giants pursue someone like Orlando Hudson with that money. The Giants already have an infielder who's being paid about 3-4 times what his play over the last 2 seasons would indi