Skip to main content

Giants Blog Interviewed By Razzball

With spring training quickly approaching, we were approached by Razzball.com to do a short Giants interview with questions about the upcoming season. The full interview will be posted in the next day or two, but I figured I'd go ahead and give a sneak peek here:

"Q1: For Tim Lincecum, last year the percentage of pitches a batter hit outside the strike zone was 56%, compared to 48.8% the year before. He also lost a mile on his fastball, threw his slider a lot more and his curveball a lot less. Are these causes for concern? Blips on the radar?

A: I would be lying if I said it wasn't a little bit alarming. Lincecum went through a real rough stretch in August last season, before really turning it on for the stretch run and the playoffs, and the big reason for that was because he was learning how to pitch without the 95 mph fastball for the first time in his career. The reason for the drop in velocity, in my opinion, has to do with his large workload over the last 3 seasons. However, he really alleviated that concern after watching his performances in October, and although Giants fans will be watching his velocity and control very closely this spring, they are all pretty confident in their ace. A big reason for the drop in curveball and slider ratio was because of his evolving change-up, which is a pitch that really helped him out of his funk.

Q2: After the struggles of 2010, if Panda starts off slow in 2011, how long will his leash be?

A: That really all depends on the health of the guys around him, mainly Miguel Tejada and Mark DeRosa...."

Again, I'll have a link to the actual interview page as well as a recap posting here once they've put it up.

Giants add Jeff Suppan: The Giants made official their signing of Jeff Suppan Monday, as he'll be reporting to camp with the rest of the pitchers and catchers in about 3 weeks from now. It's not a huge move or earth shattering news whatsoever, but I actually kinda like this move. The reason being is that the Giants are pretty thin after their starting five of Tim Lincecum, Matt Cain, Jonathan Sanchez, Barry Zito and Madison Bumgarner. Prior to the Suppan signing, the next guys in line for starts if one of them were to go down were guys like Todd Wellemeyer and Henry Sosa (who has nice upside still, but hasn't had much experience as a starter above A ball). Suppan is coming off an up-and-down year with the Cardinals and Brewers last year. He started off in Milwaukee, where he never pitched up to his standards during his 3+ year run there, then moved back to St. Louis towards mid-season, and had a very Suppan-like 2nd half. He gave up some hits and baserunners, but kept his era at 3.84 in 70 innings for the Cardinals, and I think that's what the Giants are hoping to get out of him. He very well could start out in AAA Fresno, but I expect him to make the opening day roster as a long-man, or a #5 starter if one of the other guys start the year on the DL.

Comments

Pete Mills said…
I agree with the Suppan deal too.

He's had great postseason success. I remember watching him in the 2006 playoffs before he was a free agent, and I actually kind of wanted to see the Giants sign him then, but not to the 4 years and 50 million which I beleive is what the Brewers got him for.

He should be good for the young staff all together.. Good signing if you ask me.
Eureka Giants Fan said…
Can't wait for the fanfest.. Aren't they supposed to have the trophy there? I'm traveling all the way down from Eureka.
Schruender said…
Congrats on being the guy for the Razzball interview. I really enjoy their team by team blogger interviews. Looking forward to seeing the whole thing Trevor.
Trevor Cole said…
Yeah,

Thanks Schruender, I've slowly been dabbling into broadcast stuff in recent months and am in talks to possibley become a staple on some Giants podcast/internet radio show at some point in 2011.

Anyway, long time no visit site appearance from you man, glad to have you back in the fold, and by all means, don't be a stranger... Where were you when we were giving away the World Series DVD's last month?

Eureka-

Trophy should abosolutely be in attendence, thought it will be heavely secured and I'm sure they'll have it blocked off to a certain extent, either encased or behind ropes with security guards on watch.
Anonymous said…
Giants should have gotten jason varitek, or some real good backup catcher to posey.

Then, god forbed, Huff of BUrrell struggle, then they could move Posey to 1B and Vartiek to Catcher...

I'm not genious, and I know he has flaws, but he's a winner, and we're starting to build with winners, and I love.
Anonymous said…
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
TYPO, SORRY, LATE NIght starturday in from partyin... not thaaattt stupid..
" I Love." should be I Love Gamers", not just I Love.

"God Forbid" not Forbed, too.. LOL..

Thanks for the good fund guys!
Nate D. said…
Suppan is not a bad guy to take a chance on. The rotation is obviously strong (WS Champs), but bringing in a guy like Suppan could be good for the pitching staff. Check out my blog:

baseballsoup.blogspot.com
Trevor Cole said…
I agree 150% on the Varitek suggestion... thing is, he;s really not much of a defender anymore, and that's really all he'd be asked to do. Plus, he may have some beef with the lack of PT he'd get with Buster getting 140 starts at catcher... Still though, Tek is a winner, and I think they could have had something special.

Imagine a clubhouse with Tek, Huff, Uribe, Rowand, Burell, Wilson, Lincecum, J. Sanchez... and on and on.... What a fun atmosphere to be a part of. No wonder they play so loose on the field and win so many close games.
Trevor Cole said…
Schruender-

Thanks for the thumbs up, it's a little short, but whatever. I enjoy getting my site out there any possible way I can.

Thanks again for all your support..

BTW, did you check out the World Series DVD yet? I've yet to get around to it and Im wondering what im missing so far?
Anonymous said…
Very good blog! Do you have any hints for aspiring writers?
I'm hoping to start my own blog soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
Would you recommend starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid
option? There are so many options out there that I'm completely overwhelmed .. Any recommendations? Kudos!

Feel free to surf to my web site: Army Games

Popular posts from this blog

WORLD SERIES: Giants Move Up 2-0 on Texas

PreGame After taking game one in a surprising slug-fest , the Giants look to go up 2-0 on the Rangers in the World Series on Thursday night. The Giants are sending out Matt Cain, a guy who I'm sure every Giants' fan is pretty confident in. He'll be a opposed by C.J. Wilson, who's in his first year as a full-time starter, but has been brilliant in the role. He did struggle his last time out though, so hopefully the Giants can get to him early and get into his head a bit. I'm going to do something I've never done here on this unique occasion, and sort of do an in-game post. updating this post every time I feel I have something to add. So go Giants, and be sure to check back throughout the game, and after, to vent or whatever! As long as Matt Cain keeps rolling, and the Giants keep coming up with those clutch 2-out hits, we should be OK. Texas has that high-powered offense that can score in a hurry, as we saw last night, so the Giants cannot let down and have to t

Giants Still Need Infield Help

On Saturday, the Giants finalized a 2 year contract extension with Freddy Sanchez, who they acquired in July for Tim Alderson. The new deal for Sanchez will pay him 12 million over the next 2 seasons instead of 8.5 million for just 2010, which was his option for 2010. I've voiced my disappointment in Sanchez a few times here since the Giants dealt for him over the summer. He wasn't able to stay on the field full time to help this club with their run at the NL Wild Card, and even when he was in there, he didn't seem to make much of an impact in th e lineup. Now, I wasn't necessarily hoping the Giants would cut ties with Sanchez (they probably would have had to pay 4 million or so to buy him out), just didn't think he was worth upwards of 10 million dollars, and would have liked to see the Giants pursue someone like Orlando Hudson with that money. The Giants already have an infielder who's being paid about 3-4 times what his play over the last 2 seasons would indi

Giants Notes: Lincecum Signs, Ross to Boston

Well, even though I touched on it a little bit in our last post, I haven't really had a chance to get my thoughts out on the new Lincecum deal since he and the Giants agreed earlier in the week. Also, on the other end of things, the Giants missed out on shoring up their outfield by letting Cody Ross sign in Boston for only $3 million in 2012. First off, obviously, wanted to talk a bit about Lincecum. I've already said here that I didn't expect him to sign a long-term deal that takes him through free agency, but it doesn't mean he wants to leave San Francisco like everyone is suspecting. I mean, if I were Lincecum, I'd probably do the same thing, even if I planned on eventually signing with the Giants long-term. Why take a chance at mitigating your value to just sign a deal? Granted, a 5 year, $100 million deal isn't anything to sneeze at, in this market, if he were a free agent, Lincecum could probably easily command a 8 year, $200 million deal. If he could get