Skip to main content

2013 SF Giants Preview and Predictions

Finally, we've reached the end of the exhibition season as the Giants will wrap up their game in Oakland with the A's then head off to LA where they open the season on Monday afternoon. Here is what the roster should look like come opening day, along with some player predictions for the starting positional players and pitchers 2013 season.

Lineup:

1. CF Angel Pagan: 152 Games, .292 AVG., 11 HR, 57 RBI, 101 R, 25 SB, .762 OPS
2. 2B Marco Scutaro: 141 G, .287 AVG., 9 HR, 65 RBI, 84 R, .785 OPS
3. 3B Pablo Sandoval: 135 G, .305 AVG., 24 HR, 77 RBI, 69 R, .866 OPS
4. C Buster Posey: 152 G, .324 AVG., 27 HR, 109 RBI, 76 R, .965 OPS
5. RF Hunter Pence: 156 G, .279 AVG., 25 HR, 101 RBI, 86 R, .824 OPS
6. 1B Brandon Belt: 146 G, .284 AVG., 22 HR, 73 RBI, 68 R, 15 SB, .812 OPS
7. LF Gregor Blanco: 124 G, .252 AVG., 6 HR, 28 RBI,  50 R, 22 SB, .696 OPS
8. SS Brandon Crawford: 148 G, .256 AVG., 8 HR, 48 RBI, 53 R, .707 OPS

Rotation: 

1. RHP Matt Cain: 34 Starts, 16-8, 3.22 ERA, 226 IP, 196 K's, 1.11 WHIP
2. LHP Madison Bumgarner: 34 G, 19-7, 2.92 ERA, 218 IP, 200 K's, 1.09 WHIP
3. RHP Tim Lincecum: 32 GS, 14-10, 3.66 ERA, 197 IP, 207 K's, 1.32 WHIP
4. LHP Barry Zito: 31 GS, 13-11, 4.27 ERA, 188 IP, 126 K's, 1.35 WHIP
5. RHP Ryan Vogelsong: 30 GS, 13-9, 3.68 ERA, 192 IP, 141 K's, 1.28 WHIP

Bench: 
C Hector Sanchez
IF Joaquin Arias
OF Andres Torres
IF Nick Noonan
C Guillermo Quiroz

Bullpen:
RHP: Sergio Romo
RHP Santiago Casilla
LHP Jeremy Affeldt
LHP Javier Lopez
RHP George Kontos
LHP Jose Mijares
RHP Chad Gaudin

The two toughest predictions this season for me lie with Sandoval and Lincecum. I mean, after the spring Lincecum just had, he may very well tank again like last season. At the same time, that right arm still has a ton of talent, and if he gets back on track, he can be an ace again. For Pablo, it's whether or not he can stay on the field. If he could play 150 games, he'd hit 30 jacks and drive in close to 100, but with his weight and all these nagging issues, I just don't see it. I didn't do predictions for the bench or bullpen, because outside of Torres and Arias, I don't see anyone playing a significant role and 2/5 of them may be gone by May anyway. I could see Torres' role increasing if Blanco struggles, however, and Arias would get a jump in PT if/when Panda hits the DL. The bullpen will again be solid, but Romo is a bit of a question mark for me as the full-time closer this year. Wouldn't surprise me if he has 50 saves and a 1.50 ERA, and unfortunately, it wouldn't surprise me if he's hurt and out of the role by June. No matter what happens though, we know Sabean will be ready to make the necessary move to ensure the best shot at repeating as World Series winners, so if they need a closer, or need a left fielder by mid-season, chances are they'll get some help!

2013 Record: 93-69

Comments

Carlos818 said…
These are reasonable predictions I think, assuming everyone is healthy which prolly won't happen. I wish Sandoval could stay healthy cause I agree that he could be a monster.

I would be over the moon if Timmy got his WHIP back in the 1.2's and could win 14 though. Maybe it's just me, but I see a defeated man in that guy. He's trying everything and failing right now. (even cutting the signature locks!!!)
hitnrun said…
Trevor, you are very generous in predicting so many home runs in the middle of the lineup. Pence and Belt absolutely HAVE to have good years, with power, especially with an iffy fat Panda and very low expectations from left field. I like Blanco's defense, but I just don't think he should be out there every other day, and although Torres is a fan favorite, for some reason, I do not expect much from him at all, and question his signing altogether. The bench that you list has no punch, or threat, so the team will have problems scoring again, especially if Sandoval gets hurt again.
Unknown said…
Well, if you look at the home run total from last year for Posey and Pence, it's not too far off. Plus I think Pence will have a bounce-back season and Posey will be on the field more often.

Belt and Panda are the two I'm being optimistic on. If Panda can play 150, he'd hit 30, no doubt in my mind. If Belt carries any of what he's done in spring into the season, 20 should be very attainable.
Anonymous said…
Dude, I'd be stoked if Panda plays 135-140 games. I have a feeling he'll be on the DL before the end of the month though. Just can't see how he can stay on the field being that out of shape? He almost fell over a few times on routine plays at third in this game...

Popular posts from this blog

WORLD SERIES: Giants Move Up 2-0 on Texas

PreGame After taking game one in a surprising slug-fest , the Giants look to go up 2-0 on the Rangers in the World Series on Thursday night. The Giants are sending out Matt Cain, a guy who I'm sure every Giants' fan is pretty confident in. He'll be a opposed by C.J. Wilson, who's in his first year as a full-time starter, but has been brilliant in the role. He did struggle his last time out though, so hopefully the Giants can get to him early and get into his head a bit. I'm going to do something I've never done here on this unique occasion, and sort of do an in-game post. updating this post every time I feel I have something to add. So go Giants, and be sure to check back throughout the game, and after, to vent or whatever! As long as Matt Cain keeps rolling, and the Giants keep coming up with those clutch 2-out hits, we should be OK. Texas has that high-powered offense that can score in a hurry, as we saw last night, so the Giants cannot let down and have to t

Giants Still Need Infield Help

On Saturday, the Giants finalized a 2 year contract extension with Freddy Sanchez, who they acquired in July for Tim Alderson. The new deal for Sanchez will pay him 12 million over the next 2 seasons instead of 8.5 million for just 2010, which was his option for 2010. I've voiced my disappointment in Sanchez a few times here since the Giants dealt for him over the summer. He wasn't able to stay on the field full time to help this club with their run at the NL Wild Card, and even when he was in there, he didn't seem to make much of an impact in th e lineup. Now, I wasn't necessarily hoping the Giants would cut ties with Sanchez (they probably would have had to pay 4 million or so to buy him out), just didn't think he was worth upwards of 10 million dollars, and would have liked to see the Giants pursue someone like Orlando Hudson with that money. The Giants already have an infielder who's being paid about 3-4 times what his play over the last 2 seasons would indi

Giants Notes: Lincecum Signs, Ross to Boston

Well, even though I touched on it a little bit in our last post, I haven't really had a chance to get my thoughts out on the new Lincecum deal since he and the Giants agreed earlier in the week. Also, on the other end of things, the Giants missed out on shoring up their outfield by letting Cody Ross sign in Boston for only $3 million in 2012. First off, obviously, wanted to talk a bit about Lincecum. I've already said here that I didn't expect him to sign a long-term deal that takes him through free agency, but it doesn't mean he wants to leave San Francisco like everyone is suspecting. I mean, if I were Lincecum, I'd probably do the same thing, even if I planned on eventually signing with the Giants long-term. Why take a chance at mitigating your value to just sign a deal? Granted, a 5 year, $100 million deal isn't anything to sneeze at, in this market, if he were a free agent, Lincecum could probably easily command a 8 year, $200 million deal. If he could get