Skip to main content

Schierholtz Helps Carry Giants

The Giants moved back within 10 games of .500 after they took the last two vs. the Yankees at AT&T Park. It was actually the most exciting baseball I've seen the Giants play in over a month. I think having the Yankees in town lit a little bit of a fire under the Giants' and the old legs and bats showed a little bit of life over the weekend. I am also getting more impressed by Nate Schierholtz the more I watch him. Not only did he win a game with a base hit on Saturday, but he came up with a crucial sac fly, behind in the count vs. Roger Clemens, a spot where many Giants have failed all to often this season. Schierholtz hasn't shown much power at all since his promotion, but he puts the ball in play a lot, and his batting average is showing it. The exciting thing about Schierholtz is that he seems to be more polished with the bat at the big league level than Ortmeier and Lewis, and he's 3 years younger. I think his power will come with time, but the thing I like about him is he is coming up with clutch hits in big situations. For now, I would really consider getting him in the lineup as much as possible if I were Bochy. I know it would be quite an expensive platoon, but I wouldn't mind seeing Dave Roberts and Randy Winn share center field for a while to give Schierholtz 100-150 consistent at bats.

I'd like to take part of this post to give my condolences to Rod Beck's family and friends after his tragic death over the weekend. I have many memories of Beck on the field and even had the opportunity to talk with him a few times over his years with the Giants. He was never a guy who left any of his fans unsatisfied and would never hesitate to sign an autograph or have a conversation with someone. The best memory I have of Beck on the field is when he struck out Greg Vaughn of the San Diego Padres to clinch the 1997 NL West division title (Pictured). It sent the Giants to the playoffs for the first time since '89, and there was an atmosphere at the 'Stick that I will never forget in my life. Thanks for the memories Shooter, and rest in peace.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nate Schierholtz is a pretty good rookie, since getting called up in mid June, especially for his age at 23. He's getting off to a great start in his first 9 games with a .379 Batting Average and a .406 OBP. First Fred Lewis with the cycle, and now Nate Schierholtz is surprising everyone with how good Giants rookies can be. I agree with you on Bruce Bochy. Give rookies chances because the veterans sure aren't winning ball games for the club today.
Anonymous said…
This kid's dad is probably younger than Clemens.
lzrdking98 said…
Bochy is a dog shit manager. He should be fired. As go Bochy, as go the Giants. There was no reason to pull Lincecum from tonight's game. He had only thrown 115 ptches. He had thrown minimal pitches in the 7th. Finally, his fastball was still topping 95. He still had pop in his arm. Bochy is a micromanager. Just because you have guys in the pen to use as setup guys and closers, doesn't mean you have to use them. Let lincecum go out in the 8th inning. If he gives up a walk or a hit, then entertain the idea of pulling him. Bad move Bochy, your lucky you won the game. POS
allfrank said…
You're completely wrong - Bochy probably should have pulled Lincecum after the 6th.
I'm also a big fan of Schierholtz, but he dogged it tonight after he booted a ball in RF - and Cruz took advantage and went to second. If he'd hustled, Cruz would have been on first. Of course, if Winn had hustled too (actually, I don't think it was lack of hustle as much as a bad initial read) there would have been one out, runner on first - and Correia probably doesn't get into the game.
Trevor Cole said…
Your right Frank, I was surprised to see Lincecum in the 7th, but seeing what Bochy has to work with in the bullpen, I understand why he did it. And Yes. I support Schierholtz but he did dawg it on the bobble tonight.
lzrdking98 said…
Mr. Allfrank. I would like to hear your opinion as to why I am wrong. When it comes to Baseball. I am never wrong. Lincecum should not have been pulled. He did not have an elevated pitch count, he still had good velocity and he had a good final inning. No reason to pull him. Bochy will be gone. Let the kid pitch. Jesus, when I played professionallly, pitch counts would go to 160 or 170. Bunch of pansies.
Trevor Cole said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trevor Cole said…
King, first off, I appreciate your insight and I also wish starting pitcher's would start being stretched out further, but if you followed the Giants, you'd know that Bochy want's to go the the bullpen about as much as he wants to walk on nails. Second, if you think stretching a 23 year old kid out in a game when your team is 10 games below .500 is a good idea, then start thinking a little harder. I actually have no beefs with the way Boch has used his staff, you can't blame him because Sabean designed a horrible bullpen.
Anonymous said…
Nate Schierholtz may get more playing time once the Barry Bonds Circus leaves town. That is problem with this team....It is all Barry...Barry...Barry...you hardly hear a word about Pedro Feliz because he is probably a team player unlike Bonds who is too good to have his photo taken with the riff raff on the rest of the team.

Popular posts from this blog

WORLD SERIES: Giants Move Up 2-0 on Texas

PreGame After taking game one in a surprising slug-fest , the Giants look to go up 2-0 on the Rangers in the World Series on Thursday night. The Giants are sending out Matt Cain, a guy who I'm sure every Giants' fan is pretty confident in. He'll be a opposed by C.J. Wilson, who's in his first year as a full-time starter, but has been brilliant in the role. He did struggle his last time out though, so hopefully the Giants can get to him early and get into his head a bit. I'm going to do something I've never done here on this unique occasion, and sort of do an in-game post. updating this post every time I feel I have something to add. So go Giants, and be sure to check back throughout the game, and after, to vent or whatever! As long as Matt Cain keeps rolling, and the Giants keep coming up with those clutch 2-out hits, we should be OK. Texas has that high-powered offense that can score in a hurry, as we saw last night, so the Giants cannot let down and have to t

Giants Still Need Infield Help

On Saturday, the Giants finalized a 2 year contract extension with Freddy Sanchez, who they acquired in July for Tim Alderson. The new deal for Sanchez will pay him 12 million over the next 2 seasons instead of 8.5 million for just 2010, which was his option for 2010. I've voiced my disappointment in Sanchez a few times here since the Giants dealt for him over the summer. He wasn't able to stay on the field full time to help this club with their run at the NL Wild Card, and even when he was in there, he didn't seem to make much of an impact in th e lineup. Now, I wasn't necessarily hoping the Giants would cut ties with Sanchez (they probably would have had to pay 4 million or so to buy him out), just didn't think he was worth upwards of 10 million dollars, and would have liked to see the Giants pursue someone like Orlando Hudson with that money. The Giants already have an infielder who's being paid about 3-4 times what his play over the last 2 seasons would indi

Giants Notes: Lincecum Signs, Ross to Boston

Well, even though I touched on it a little bit in our last post, I haven't really had a chance to get my thoughts out on the new Lincecum deal since he and the Giants agreed earlier in the week. Also, on the other end of things, the Giants missed out on shoring up their outfield by letting Cody Ross sign in Boston for only $3 million in 2012. First off, obviously, wanted to talk a bit about Lincecum. I've already said here that I didn't expect him to sign a long-term deal that takes him through free agency, but it doesn't mean he wants to leave San Francisco like everyone is suspecting. I mean, if I were Lincecum, I'd probably do the same thing, even if I planned on eventually signing with the Giants long-term. Why take a chance at mitigating your value to just sign a deal? Granted, a 5 year, $100 million deal isn't anything to sneeze at, in this market, if he were a free agent, Lincecum could probably easily command a 8 year, $200 million deal. If he could get