Skip to main content

Jonathon Sanchez for Delmon Young?

About a week ago there was a blurb mentioned from the Winter meetings about the Twins offering the Giants Delmon Young for Jonathon Sanchez. While that trade straight up wouldn't be the best deal for the Giants as their need is for infielders and not outfielders. However, this proposal did get me thinking. I wonder if the Twins would consider expanding the deal and adding a few more players into the mix. My offer to the Twins would be Jonathon Sanchez, Nate Schierholtz and Randy Winn for Delmon Young, Michael Cuddyer (atlthough I still consider it if Cuddyer weren't involved) and Nick Blackburn. Here's why it would make sense for both teams:

The Giants: They'd be getting a young right-handed bat who massively underachieved in Minnesota last season and has huge potential. In the long run, Young will be better than Schierholtz and is a way better fit in this ballpark. Young reminds me of a younger Alex Rios and I think it's only a matter of time before we see that 20-20 or even 30-20 potential (probably the '09 season). He's only 23 and Delmon has already put together 2 respectable seasons. I think this 3rd year is the one where he will really take off and start realizing his potential. Also, Nick Blackburn could come in and take Sanchez's spot in the rotation. He doesn't have the upside that Sanchez has, but he's a solid young pitcher in his own right. His rookie season was a very good one (11-11 with a 4.05 era in 193 innings pitched). I'd rather have Slowey, Baker or of course Liriano back, but any of those 3 are probably off limits, at least in a proposed trade like this. Also asking for Cuddyer in addition may be stretching it a bit, but he would provide them a decent option at first or third. I'd still consider the deal though even if Cuddyer weren't involved though as Young's potential is that good.

The Twins: They have privately been shopping Young after he didn't perform up to their expectations and supposedly had some attitude issues. They could have interest in Winn as a right fielder for them as his contract expires after the '09 season and would probably put up better numbers than Young did for them last season. Schierholtz could play left field for them or take over in right when/if Winn left in free agency. And of course, they'd get their man in Sanchez, a guy with Francisco Liriano stuff and a guy they've had their eye on for a while now. They could figure that this deal could help fans forget about giving up Matt Garza, who's skills were put on display for the whole world to see in the fall. It just seems like a deal that could make a lot of sense for both teams. If the Twins really offered Young for Sanchez straight up, then you'd have to believe they'd have interest in doing this deal as well. They'd just be adding on a guy who would end up being their 5th starter and Cuddyer, who hasn't been as productive over the last couple of seasons.

All in all, the Twinkies rotation would look pretty darn good, and piled with young arms with a lot of stuff. Baker-Liriano-Slowey-Sanchez-Perkins with Boof Bonser as a possible swing man or reliever is a nice set-up. Also getting two quality outfielders in the veteran Winn and the youngster Schierholtz would help offset the loss of Cuddyer and Young. While the Giants get two much needed power/run producing bats into the lineup and although Blackburn isn't as nasty as Sanchez, they'd be getting themselves a more than capable starting pitcher.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Interesing and yes i'd do the trade too.
Anonymous said…
Whatever you're smokin', I want some.
Trevor Cole said…
No problem, but we are pricey. LOL. Seriously, if the Twins were offering Young for Sanchez, they'd have to consider a prop. like that. Just a thought, not anything I'd expect to happen but would make a lot of damn sense for both teams
Anonymous said…
As a guy who is a ridiculously out-of-proportion fan of both DY AND Schierholtz.... are you serious? No.... seriously... really?
Trevor Cole said…
""As a guy who is a ridiculously out-of-proportion fan of both DY AND Schierholtz.... are you serious? No.... seriously... really?""


Manny,
Were you implying that I said Schierholtz had the same upside? I wasn't and I know that's not the case. Still, with the Twins in that yard I could see Nate being serviceable in rf, maybe .290, 12-18 home runs and 70 RBI. Again, not great but better than what they got out of Young last season. But yes, this is a trade that favors the Giants, no doubt, and I blog for them so of course I'm not going to propose a deal in which we get the short end of the stick.

This is a deal that isn't going to happen and likely would never get discussed, just pointing out some of the positive effects it could have for both teams.
Anonymous said…
I don't know anything much about Nick Blackburn, but I know I was considering adding him to my fantasy team at one point last season when he was pitching good so he must be ok. Sanchez was so good in the first half last year though I'd hate to deal him and see him become the next Liriano for the Twins (member the AJ-Nathan/Liriano/Bonser). That trade really started the downhill fall the Giants have been on in recent years. Especially losing Nathan because they didn't have a closer until they Wilson last season.

I like Delmon Young though and I would give up Sanchez and Winn and Nate the great for him and this Blackburn kid if it were an option.
rxmeister said…
Delmon Young is young and supposedly has all the potential in the world, yet every team he's on looks to trade him at the end of the season. He looks to me like a Milton Bradley in training, except he hasn't even close to Milton Bradley numbers as yet. The Giants are a team dying for power, and so far Young hasn't shown any. We should stay far away instead of handing them yet another of our stud young pitchers.
Anonymous said…
I'm a semi-twins fan, they are my 2nd to the A's who are my first team. And being an AL fan, the Twinkies are kinda like my second team. And if the Giants were offering Sanchez, Schierholtz and Winn and maybe a young pitcher like Pucetas or, then maybe I'd do the Delmon Young and Blackburn. I bet the Smith and Gardy would rather give up Perkins or give you guys back Boof Bonser instead of Blackburn. So this deal woulnd't be so outrageous if it were Sanchez, Winn and Nate for Young and Perkins. I may do that if I were Bill Smith. I live in the bay area and I am familiar with some of the Giants guys though and I got to watch Sanchez and he was really good last season, way better than the era was when I saw him. Also, the only reason nate schierholtz isn't a starter in the mlb is because he has a player blocking him making a lot of cash.

IDK though, Young could be such a star in the long run(some Twins coaches compare him to a right handed Grady Sizemore) and you make a good comparison with Alex Rios. Or he could end up being just ok, like he was with the Twins last season. Tough call.
Anonymous said…
For the record - I think Nate could hit more HR per season than DY but he'll NEVER have the gun of an arm or amass the same RBI. As for "upside" - isn't DY "younger" than Schierholtz?

Popular posts from this blog

WORLD SERIES: Giants Move Up 2-0 on Texas

PreGame After taking game one in a surprising slug-fest , the Giants look to go up 2-0 on the Rangers in the World Series on Thursday night. The Giants are sending out Matt Cain, a guy who I'm sure every Giants' fan is pretty confident in. He'll be a opposed by C.J. Wilson, who's in his first year as a full-time starter, but has been brilliant in the role. He did struggle his last time out though, so hopefully the Giants can get to him early and get into his head a bit. I'm going to do something I've never done here on this unique occasion, and sort of do an in-game post. updating this post every time I feel I have something to add. So go Giants, and be sure to check back throughout the game, and after, to vent or whatever! As long as Matt Cain keeps rolling, and the Giants keep coming up with those clutch 2-out hits, we should be OK. Texas has that high-powered offense that can score in a hurry, as we saw last night, so the Giants cannot let down and have to t

Giants Notes: Lincecum Signs, Ross to Boston

Well, even though I touched on it a little bit in our last post, I haven't really had a chance to get my thoughts out on the new Lincecum deal since he and the Giants agreed earlier in the week. Also, on the other end of things, the Giants missed out on shoring up their outfield by letting Cody Ross sign in Boston for only $3 million in 2012. First off, obviously, wanted to talk a bit about Lincecum. I've already said here that I didn't expect him to sign a long-term deal that takes him through free agency, but it doesn't mean he wants to leave San Francisco like everyone is suspecting. I mean, if I were Lincecum, I'd probably do the same thing, even if I planned on eventually signing with the Giants long-term. Why take a chance at mitigating your value to just sign a deal? Granted, a 5 year, $100 million deal isn't anything to sneeze at, in this market, if he were a free agent, Lincecum could probably easily command a 8 year, $200 million deal. If he could get

Giants Still Need Infield Help

On Saturday, the Giants finalized a 2 year contract extension with Freddy Sanchez, who they acquired in July for Tim Alderson. The new deal for Sanchez will pay him 12 million over the next 2 seasons instead of 8.5 million for just 2010, which was his option for 2010. I've voiced my disappointment in Sanchez a few times here since the Giants dealt for him over the summer. He wasn't able to stay on the field full time to help this club with their run at the NL Wild Card, and even when he was in there, he didn't seem to make much of an impact in th e lineup. Now, I wasn't necessarily hoping the Giants would cut ties with Sanchez (they probably would have had to pay 4 million or so to buy him out), just didn't think he was worth upwards of 10 million dollars, and would have liked to see the Giants pursue someone like Orlando Hudson with that money. The Giants already have an infielder who's being paid about 3-4 times what his play over the last 2 seasons would indi