Skip to main content

Beltran Leaves SF for New Champs

It amazes me that the Brian Sabean felt that Beltran's demands were un-reasonable and counted themselves out of the race so early, because I think the Cards just got themselves the steal of the winter. One the Giants will be kicking themselves for come next season!

Seems like teams that won Sereis' the previous season really get to Beltran, as he signs a 2 year, $26 million deal with St. Louis. He'll be their new right fielder, shifting Lance Berkman to first in Albert Pujols former spot. Certainly not going to fill Pujols' shoes, but this move makes the Cards legit World Series contenders again. Brings me back to my original thinking though, and I've been saying it all offseason, the Giants can afford Beltran, they need Beltran, but there must have been something there that turned one off to the other. Either Beltran didn't like the way the Giants management dealt with him or the Giants didn't like Beltran's nonchalant attitude, but it doesn't seem right they couldn't match or better that offer the Cards just gave him to keep #15 in the Giants outfield. A Beltran-Pagan-Cabrera outfield would have been much more fun to watch, but it looks like we'll indeed be relegated to the Cabrera-Pagan-Schierholtz/Huff rotation and that's not how champions operate, I'm sorry to say. I don't have anything else to really say about this move, I obviously thought Beltran was well worth the gamble and it will suck when he hits .310 with 25 homers and 100 RBI in St. Louis next season (I know, they have a better park to hit at, just saying). Rough day for the Giants. There just simply isn't anyone else out there that has that kind of impact. Cody Ross is looking mighty fine right about now!

The Giants have now given away their top starting pitching prospect, who's moving along quite nicely in NY have you, for a guy they just lost and won't even get compensation for. What a shame! Maybe they should just sign Oswalt or Vazquez (I'm sure he'd pitch in SF for a year) for the fifth spot and just pray to score 1-2 runs per night, cause that's what we're looking at folks!

Comments

Section138 said…
This is total BS... Giants are such cheap bastards. Almost makes me wanna quit my season tickets. If they ever get rid of Panda or Timmy, I'm done.
hitnrun said…
Totally disappointed that the Giants let Beltran go to the Cards. The ownership's plan is obviously to stand pat and hope that this "lineup" can show marginal run improvement support to keep the turnstiles moving and keep the park full, while hoping to cash out Zito and Rowand and wait until next year to try and contend again. Lincecum and Cain should walk after this poor off season, why would they want to sit thru another season of no run support, especially when that was the "priority" to fix.
Trevor Cole said…
What surprises me the most is that he got just 2 years and about $25M... Again, I think someone pissed someone off in regards to Beltran and the Giants' Brass.

For the amount of upgrade he'd bring to the lineup, $12.5 mill is a bargain and management will find that out come April!

Zach Wheeler for.....FREE!

No reason they should have traded for Beltran unless they "knew" they were keeping him beyond this year, especially when they had to give up Wheeler. They already had Buster and Freddy out and they were winning w/o him.

Hopefully this is eating at Sabean like it is us!
J-Bill said…
This signings sounds like its bugging everyone.

I don't know. I didn't really want Beltran, but he did make the most sense for 1 or 2 seasons and thats what he got. I wanted them to get Willingham for 2 years and sign a good shortstop, but instead, we get Pagan and Cabrera, identical switch hitting Andres Torres like players. One has a little more pop, ones a little faster.

Damn Giants baseball, it's torture!
giantsguy said…
They don't have many good minor league players anyhow do they? Why not make a trade and get a hitter? They seem to prefer that method this winter and it's not like they can give up another Wheeler. I assume Brown would be off the table though.

Ok, I keep hearing these names like Alhire Adriana (sp) and Francisco Peguero and these guys like they are can't miss prospects but when exactly are they going to even make it to AA or AAA. We have these guys in like Rookie ball and single-A who may not even do anything at upper levels. If you can deal an unsure prospect like Adriana and Peguero and get a good bat, like Quentin or Upton or Abreu or whoever else can hit the ball out and help the o, then do it! Sick of losing 2-1 when our pitchers are so good!
I truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a nice information. I'll definitely add this great post in my article section.
Anonymous said…
Superb site!

my blog post :: how to golf

Popular posts from this blog

WORLD SERIES: Giants Move Up 2-0 on Texas

PreGame After taking game one in a surprising slug-fest , the Giants look to go up 2-0 on the Rangers in the World Series on Thursday night. The Giants are sending out Matt Cain, a guy who I'm sure every Giants' fan is pretty confident in. He'll be a opposed by C.J. Wilson, who's in his first year as a full-time starter, but has been brilliant in the role. He did struggle his last time out though, so hopefully the Giants can get to him early and get into his head a bit. I'm going to do something I've never done here on this unique occasion, and sort of do an in-game post. updating this post every time I feel I have something to add. So go Giants, and be sure to check back throughout the game, and after, to vent or whatever! As long as Matt Cain keeps rolling, and the Giants keep coming up with those clutch 2-out hits, we should be OK. Texas has that high-powered offense that can score in a hurry, as we saw last night, so the Giants cannot let down and have to t

Giants Still Need Infield Help

On Saturday, the Giants finalized a 2 year contract extension with Freddy Sanchez, who they acquired in July for Tim Alderson. The new deal for Sanchez will pay him 12 million over the next 2 seasons instead of 8.5 million for just 2010, which was his option for 2010. I've voiced my disappointment in Sanchez a few times here since the Giants dealt for him over the summer. He wasn't able to stay on the field full time to help this club with their run at the NL Wild Card, and even when he was in there, he didn't seem to make much of an impact in th e lineup. Now, I wasn't necessarily hoping the Giants would cut ties with Sanchez (they probably would have had to pay 4 million or so to buy him out), just didn't think he was worth upwards of 10 million dollars, and would have liked to see the Giants pursue someone like Orlando Hudson with that money. The Giants already have an infielder who's being paid about 3-4 times what his play over the last 2 seasons would indi

Giants Notes: Lincecum Signs, Ross to Boston

Well, even though I touched on it a little bit in our last post, I haven't really had a chance to get my thoughts out on the new Lincecum deal since he and the Giants agreed earlier in the week. Also, on the other end of things, the Giants missed out on shoring up their outfield by letting Cody Ross sign in Boston for only $3 million in 2012. First off, obviously, wanted to talk a bit about Lincecum. I've already said here that I didn't expect him to sign a long-term deal that takes him through free agency, but it doesn't mean he wants to leave San Francisco like everyone is suspecting. I mean, if I were Lincecum, I'd probably do the same thing, even if I planned on eventually signing with the Giants long-term. Why take a chance at mitigating your value to just sign a deal? Granted, a 5 year, $100 million deal isn't anything to sneeze at, in this market, if he were a free agent, Lincecum could probably easily command a 8 year, $200 million deal. If he could get