Skip to main content

Spring Preview: Angel Pagan, Freddy Sanchez

With Spring Training quickly approaching, and with actual baseball activity to talk about just days away, I figured I'd kill some time between now and full squad reporting dates by doing some player previews. Now, I haven't even looked at Zips 2012 projections for the Giants players or any other preview sites, so this is all us. I figured we'd start at the top of the lineup and work down, now we won't have time to do a full post for each and every player so we'll be multiple players per post, and just one for each the bench and bullpen.

We'll start from the projected top of the lineup and work down:

Angel Pagan, CF- Out goes Andres Torres and in comes Angel Pagan into center field and the Giants' leadoff spot. Pagan has been two different players the last two seasons, with his more favorable year being 2010, but he was still surprisingly effective in 2011. He stole 32 bases, hit .265 (40 points better than Torres) and drove in over 50 runs while missing some time to injury. The Giants are hoping they get the 2010 version of Pagan (.290 Avg/11 HR) though and I think they will. With this his walk year, he'll have all the incentive he needs to perform and even though I didn't love the trade, I expect a big year out of the 30 year-old. It's tough to do statistical projections in early February, having not even seen this guy or what kind of shape he's in during spring games yet, but I will take an early guess as to what I expect from Pagan, as with each player as we go through our previews. Basically, the Giants just need him to tighten up on defense, where it will be very crucial that he cover ground in that huge outfield. That's what I'd be working him on the most in spring, just going after every ball even hit remotely in the center field area, cause he's got the speed and the ability to be a plus defender. Last year's off-year at the plate and injuries likely lead to decrease in his fielding as well (11 errors), but like his offense, I expect that to return to normal, and he's a good outfielder. He sounds determined to show up the Mets for dealing him and that's fine as long as it inspires him vs. the rest of the NL. I think he'll also fit tremendously with the large Latin influence in this clubhouse.

'12 Projection: 127 G, .272 Avg, 9 HR, 51 RBI, 29 SB, 10 3B, 77 R, .331 OBP%, .417 SLG% (.748 OPS)

Freddy Sanchez, 2B: Every Giants' fan on the planet is pulling for Freddy to make a full comeback, but the problem with Sanchez is that if it's not the shoulder, something else is surely to rise up and bite him at some point during the season. All signs are pointing towards him being ready by the start of Cactus League play, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the Giants keep him out (maybe DH him) until around mid-March, just to further rest that throwing shoulder. So, I do expect Freddy to play more than 50 games this season, but he's not going to be that guy who plays 150+ like Pablo and Pagan and Cabrera and those guys. Still, I think the Giants would be perfectly happy with 125 quality games out of their 2nd basemen, and they have the Cajun combo (Fontenot and Theriot) backing him in case he does need a breather. What's going to be really interesting to see too this year, is how Boch uses the hit-and-run with Freddy and Angel. For some reason, Andres Torres wasn't a great base runner or stealer, despite blazing speed, so having Angel at the top, a premium base-runner should really open up the hit-and-run, something that Sanchez thrives at. As long as he can keep that shoulder healthy, and at the same time, limit the other day-to-day beatings a ballplayer takes, he'll produce.

'12 Prediction: 115 G, .278 Avg, 5 HR, 37 RBI, 28 2B, 2 3B, 3 SB, 45 R, .335 OBP, .392 SLG (.727 OPS)

Comments

J-Biill said…
Trevor, What about Rich Harden? Did he ever sign yet? I know you mentioned him here on your blog in the offseason a while back, but I thought the Red Sox or Yankees would get that guy? Is he not healthy or something?

I'd love to bring this guy in for a 1 year deal to challenge Zito for the 5th spot. If your looking for another Vogelsong, this is it. He's been hurt, but he was healthy for the A's last year and had 1 k per inning which still means he has good stuff. Sign him 1 year/ 1 million and I'd be ecstatic. Imagine if he were the '08-'09 Harden! Even if he doesn't start, I'd rather have him in the pen than Clay Hensley!
Trevor Cole said…
Yes J-Bill, I was a strong advocate of giving Harden a 1 year deal, but believed Boston would end up with him just cause he's been linked there for like 5 years now.

Anyway, I don't care about the fact the Giants are paying a former A's ace huge money to suck, that shouldn't have anything to do with going after Harden, who's perfectly suited for this ball yard. Harden looked healthy at the end of last year to me and at worst he could be a guy to come out of the pen and give you some good innings, better than Hensley? Absolutely! Better than Zito, probably, probably by a good margin too. Surprised at the lack of interest in him and the fact he hasn't signed. 1 year/$2.5 mill would probably do it.
Anonymous said…
I'd take those numbers from Pagan. That would be just fine. I just hope that guys stays healthy. Isn't he kinda like Freddy in that regard?
Anonymous said…
Wow that was odd. I just wrote an extremely long comment but after I clicked submit
my comment didn't appear. Bleak! Anyhow, just wanted to say excellent blog!
My wife and I often write guest posts for other web site owners to help increase exposure to our work, as well as provide superb articles to blog owners. It truly is a win win situation! If you are interested feel free to contact me so we can discuss this further. Kudos!

Also visit my homepage; How to Golf

Popular posts from this blog

WORLD SERIES: Giants Move Up 2-0 on Texas

PreGame After taking game one in a surprising slug-fest , the Giants look to go up 2-0 on the Rangers in the World Series on Thursday night. The Giants are sending out Matt Cain, a guy who I'm sure every Giants' fan is pretty confident in. He'll be a opposed by C.J. Wilson, who's in his first year as a full-time starter, but has been brilliant in the role. He did struggle his last time out though, so hopefully the Giants can get to him early and get into his head a bit. I'm going to do something I've never done here on this unique occasion, and sort of do an in-game post. updating this post every time I feel I have something to add. So go Giants, and be sure to check back throughout the game, and after, to vent or whatever! As long as Matt Cain keeps rolling, and the Giants keep coming up with those clutch 2-out hits, we should be OK. Texas has that high-powered offense that can score in a hurry, as we saw last night, so the Giants cannot let down and have to t

Giants Still Need Infield Help

On Saturday, the Giants finalized a 2 year contract extension with Freddy Sanchez, who they acquired in July for Tim Alderson. The new deal for Sanchez will pay him 12 million over the next 2 seasons instead of 8.5 million for just 2010, which was his option for 2010. I've voiced my disappointment in Sanchez a few times here since the Giants dealt for him over the summer. He wasn't able to stay on the field full time to help this club with their run at the NL Wild Card, and even when he was in there, he didn't seem to make much of an impact in th e lineup. Now, I wasn't necessarily hoping the Giants would cut ties with Sanchez (they probably would have had to pay 4 million or so to buy him out), just didn't think he was worth upwards of 10 million dollars, and would have liked to see the Giants pursue someone like Orlando Hudson with that money. The Giants already have an infielder who's being paid about 3-4 times what his play over the last 2 seasons would indi

Giants Notes: Lincecum Signs, Ross to Boston

Well, even though I touched on it a little bit in our last post, I haven't really had a chance to get my thoughts out on the new Lincecum deal since he and the Giants agreed earlier in the week. Also, on the other end of things, the Giants missed out on shoring up their outfield by letting Cody Ross sign in Boston for only $3 million in 2012. First off, obviously, wanted to talk a bit about Lincecum. I've already said here that I didn't expect him to sign a long-term deal that takes him through free agency, but it doesn't mean he wants to leave San Francisco like everyone is suspecting. I mean, if I were Lincecum, I'd probably do the same thing, even if I planned on eventually signing with the Giants long-term. Why take a chance at mitigating your value to just sign a deal? Granted, a 5 year, $100 million deal isn't anything to sneeze at, in this market, if he were a free agent, Lincecum could probably easily command a 8 year, $200 million deal. If he could get