Skip to main content

Spring Reporting Dates Just 10 Days Away

Here we are folks. The NFL is officially finished with until next fall, and full focus has shifted back to baseball, and in the Bay Area particularly, around the San Francisco Giants. With just 10 days until pitchers and catchers report, the Giants appear to have made all the moves they're anticipating before the opening of camp.

In the last couple of weeks, they come to agreements with key arbitration figures such as Tim Lincecum, Pablo Sandoval, Ryan Vogelsong and their two newest additions, Melky Cabrera and Angel Pagan. The Giants also scoured the bargain bin and came up with a guy who's been a starting shortstop for much of his career, and a fairly decent one at that, Ryan Theriot, a player whose skill set this team definitely needed. It's helped them round out what appears to be their 25-man roster, barring any unforeseen injuries or extreme spring breakthroughs, but as I write this, this team still has just 3 outfielders who've played in over 100 major league games (not counting Aurbey Huff) and as I've voiced here plenty in the last 6 weeks, I feel this team should be trying their darnedest to deepen that paper-thin outfield. I mean, even if they are banking on Brandon Belt coming into his own and taking over the left field job, it would leave Nate Schierholtz or Angel Pagan as the only backup outfielder with any kind of experience. However, the fact still remains that there just aren't many viable options left out there who could come in provide guaranteed stability, though as I've been saying, there are still guys out there looking for homes who may be worth taking a flyer on with at least an invite to Scottsdale. With Ross off the market, it leaves only Raul Ibanez and Magglio Ordonez as the two outfielders who can still field at a respectable level and have some punch in their bats. I've said here before, of the two I'd go with Ordonez because he's right-handed and is a year off of a .312/12/59 year in 1/2 a season. He's no longer a 500 at-bat player, but give him 400 ab's platooning with Schierholtz in right and I bet he'd give you a nice return.

Speaking of discounted price tags, we saw Clayton Kershaw do the Dodgers a tremendous favor by inking that 2 year, $19 million deal, that probably had Tim Lincecum chuckling under his breath. I mean, when you compare the last two seasons for each pitcher, Kershaw has actually been slightly better than Timmy, going 34-15 with a 2.47 era to Lincecum's 29-24 record and 3.20 era. Lincecum has him beat on the strikeout totals by a small margin, but I'll take the wins and low era and give up the extra K's. Now you won't find a bigger Lincecum fan than myself and I think the deal he got was completely just, but I just wonder a bit if the Giants may be kicking themselves a little after seeing that Kershaw deal. On the other hand, this could actually help the Giants' long-term efforts with not only Lincecum but Matt Cain as well, who must have said something at the fanfest that I missed because Giants fans are getting a bit frantic in thinking Cain may bolt after the season. I mentioned a few posts back that I think the Giants should offer Cain the same deal the Angels gave Jered Weaver (5 year/$85M), and see if he bit, but now I'm hearing numbers north of 5 years and $100 million. Cain was the one guy I thought to be almost a sure bet to be a Giant for a long time, so this is either mis-interpreted news, or a complete surprise to me. It all the sudden raises the question, what if, just what if, Cain and Lincecum are both in other uniforms for the 2014 season! Think Brian Sabean will be beating himself up for not taking full advantage of this window of opportunity? I'd say so, and it would probably be as an un-employed GM too, cause that's about the time his contract is up as well!

2012 Roster Preview coming up next!

Comments

SoCal Steve said…
I bet Cain signs with the Dodgers.

6 years for $125 million! They saved the money this winter to go after guys next year, and they always get Giants players like Schmidt and Kent. Kershaw-Cain-Billingsley would be sick!
hitnrun said…
Cain may follow up on what Lincecum has done and not sign long term until he is sure of run support, which is smart. Why would he sign for 5 years of getting 2 runs a game when he could have the Red Sox or Yankees batting orders giving him 8 runs a game behind him. I am sure Sabathia does not mind not having to throw shutouts every time he goes out there. Giants indeed should be looking for another power bat to at least come off the bench, like Burrell did, maybe Ordonez is a solution. I sure don't think that Justin Christian is the answer.
Anonymous said…
Can't wait for the season. I'm actually going to spring training for the first time in March and can't wait for that either. I know the Giants didn't get a big power bat this offseson, but I still like the feel of this team. They have speed, they have some good hitters and they have great pitching! GO GIANTS!!!

Popular posts from this blog

WORLD SERIES: Giants Move Up 2-0 on Texas

PreGame After taking game one in a surprising slug-fest , the Giants look to go up 2-0 on the Rangers in the World Series on Thursday night. The Giants are sending out Matt Cain, a guy who I'm sure every Giants' fan is pretty confident in. He'll be a opposed by C.J. Wilson, who's in his first year as a full-time starter, but has been brilliant in the role. He did struggle his last time out though, so hopefully the Giants can get to him early and get into his head a bit. I'm going to do something I've never done here on this unique occasion, and sort of do an in-game post. updating this post every time I feel I have something to add. So go Giants, and be sure to check back throughout the game, and after, to vent or whatever! As long as Matt Cain keeps rolling, and the Giants keep coming up with those clutch 2-out hits, we should be OK. Texas has that high-powered offense that can score in a hurry, as we saw last night, so the Giants cannot let down and have to t

Giants Still Need Infield Help

On Saturday, the Giants finalized a 2 year contract extension with Freddy Sanchez, who they acquired in July for Tim Alderson. The new deal for Sanchez will pay him 12 million over the next 2 seasons instead of 8.5 million for just 2010, which was his option for 2010. I've voiced my disappointment in Sanchez a few times here since the Giants dealt for him over the summer. He wasn't able to stay on the field full time to help this club with their run at the NL Wild Card, and even when he was in there, he didn't seem to make much of an impact in th e lineup. Now, I wasn't necessarily hoping the Giants would cut ties with Sanchez (they probably would have had to pay 4 million or so to buy him out), just didn't think he was worth upwards of 10 million dollars, and would have liked to see the Giants pursue someone like Orlando Hudson with that money. The Giants already have an infielder who's being paid about 3-4 times what his play over the last 2 seasons would indi

Giants Notes: Lincecum Signs, Ross to Boston

Well, even though I touched on it a little bit in our last post, I haven't really had a chance to get my thoughts out on the new Lincecum deal since he and the Giants agreed earlier in the week. Also, on the other end of things, the Giants missed out on shoring up their outfield by letting Cody Ross sign in Boston for only $3 million in 2012. First off, obviously, wanted to talk a bit about Lincecum. I've already said here that I didn't expect him to sign a long-term deal that takes him through free agency, but it doesn't mean he wants to leave San Francisco like everyone is suspecting. I mean, if I were Lincecum, I'd probably do the same thing, even if I planned on eventually signing with the Giants long-term. Why take a chance at mitigating your value to just sign a deal? Granted, a 5 year, $100 million deal isn't anything to sneeze at, in this market, if he were a free agent, Lincecum could probably easily command a 8 year, $200 million deal. If he could get