Skip to main content

Giants Trade Alderson for Freddy Sanchez

Well, I am on vacation, and didn't plan on making another post until the weekend, but anytime the team makes a big-time trade, that always calls for immediate posting.

I'm sure most of you baseball fans are aware by now that the Giants have traded one of their top pitching prospects in Tim Alderson to the Pittsburgh Pirates for oft-injured all-star second basemen Freddy Sanchez. The first I hear about this move was actually on line, as I was scrolling through Yahoo Sports and saw the headline "Giants acquire Sanchez from Pirates". I read said article, but that article only had information about the player the Giants attained and didn't give any info about who they gave up. At that point, I figured they may have gotten him without dealing anyone too significant, otherwise the Yahoo writers would have included it in their article. However, that couldn't be any less the case. The Giants had to part with their number 2 pitching prospect, and a guy who a lot of scouts see as a future ace in Tim Alderson, to get a hold of the steady-hitting second basemen.

Now, I'm not going to sit here all post and beat this subject to death, I just want to say it once and leave it at that; I would not have made this deal if I were Sabean. Not because I don't think Sanchez will help, but because I would have rather seen a bigger deal go down if it had to involve Alderson. I can't help but think that the Giants could have gotten someone a lot better than Sanchez for a package with Alderson and a few other guys. Now, I'm on vacation and trying to keep the mood good, so I'm not going to spend my day dwelling about this because there are some positive sides to this move. Sanchez is an all-star caliber second basemen, and although he doesn't posses the pop that the Giants lack, he's a career .300 hitter who will come in and stabilize a position of need for the orange and black. He's also under contract through the 2010 season, so he's not just going to be a one-and-done type player over the last 2 months.

Freddy had somewhat of an off year in 2008, but in '06-'07, he hit .344 and .304 respectively, and had over 80 RBI in each of those seasons. He is a guy who can hit with runners in scoring position and immediately becomes the teams best all-around right-handed bat. He's also more than capable defensively at second base, which should strengthen the Giants up the middle. Again though, he's battling a bum knee right now that could keep him out another couple of days, which is fine, as long as this thing doesn't linger all season. With the news of Edgar Renteria ailing and needing offseason surgery, it was pretty immanent that the Giants added another infielder, and Sanchez had been on their radar for much of the past month. He's a good player, and he along with Ryan Garko may be enough to jump start this offense and bring them to a respectable level, but giving up Alderson was too much if you ask me!

Note: Again, I'm in Southern California until Monday, so unless something big goes down between now and then (like a deal for a starter?), we probably won't have another post here until Monday, August 2nd! Thanks for checking us out, and be sure to check on Monday!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I agree, too much to give up for a second basemen with no power!
Julio said…
I'm glad the trade deadline passed without sabes getting a chance to deal away anymore of our top prosepects.
Trevor Cole said…
Yeah, I'm still a little irked about giving up Alderson in the Sanchez deal... Hopefully he can make his debut today and start paying some dividends!
Fire Sabean!!! said…
Good analysis, I agree %100.. If your going to trade your #2 pitching prospect, why not try and make a deal out of it, rather than a declining, injury prone second basemen with limited power? Couldn't we have offered the Indians a better package than what the BoSox gave them for V-Mart? Alderson, Sosa and that Guzman kid who can rake but can't play d (could have been a good dh prospect for cleveland). Sabean pisses me off time after time. I hope this is the end of the road for him.
Anonymous said…
Hello !.
might , perhaps curious to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I began to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a proper partner utilizes your money in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://jilasixa.bigheadhosting.net/baqozugu.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Popular posts from this blog

WORLD SERIES: Giants Move Up 2-0 on Texas

PreGame After taking game one in a surprising slug-fest , the Giants look to go up 2-0 on the Rangers in the World Series on Thursday night. The Giants are sending out Matt Cain, a guy who I'm sure every Giants' fan is pretty confident in. He'll be a opposed by C.J. Wilson, who's in his first year as a full-time starter, but has been brilliant in the role. He did struggle his last time out though, so hopefully the Giants can get to him early and get into his head a bit. I'm going to do something I've never done here on this unique occasion, and sort of do an in-game post. updating this post every time I feel I have something to add. So go Giants, and be sure to check back throughout the game, and after, to vent or whatever! As long as Matt Cain keeps rolling, and the Giants keep coming up with those clutch 2-out hits, we should be OK. Texas has that high-powered offense that can score in a hurry, as we saw last night, so the Giants cannot let down and have to t

Giants Still Need Infield Help

On Saturday, the Giants finalized a 2 year contract extension with Freddy Sanchez, who they acquired in July for Tim Alderson. The new deal for Sanchez will pay him 12 million over the next 2 seasons instead of 8.5 million for just 2010, which was his option for 2010. I've voiced my disappointment in Sanchez a few times here since the Giants dealt for him over the summer. He wasn't able to stay on the field full time to help this club with their run at the NL Wild Card, and even when he was in there, he didn't seem to make much of an impact in th e lineup. Now, I wasn't necessarily hoping the Giants would cut ties with Sanchez (they probably would have had to pay 4 million or so to buy him out), just didn't think he was worth upwards of 10 million dollars, and would have liked to see the Giants pursue someone like Orlando Hudson with that money. The Giants already have an infielder who's being paid about 3-4 times what his play over the last 2 seasons would indi

Giants Notes: Lincecum Signs, Ross to Boston

Well, even though I touched on it a little bit in our last post, I haven't really had a chance to get my thoughts out on the new Lincecum deal since he and the Giants agreed earlier in the week. Also, on the other end of things, the Giants missed out on shoring up their outfield by letting Cody Ross sign in Boston for only $3 million in 2012. First off, obviously, wanted to talk a bit about Lincecum. I've already said here that I didn't expect him to sign a long-term deal that takes him through free agency, but it doesn't mean he wants to leave San Francisco like everyone is suspecting. I mean, if I were Lincecum, I'd probably do the same thing, even if I planned on eventually signing with the Giants long-term. Why take a chance at mitigating your value to just sign a deal? Granted, a 5 year, $100 million deal isn't anything to sneeze at, in this market, if he were a free agent, Lincecum could probably easily command a 8 year, $200 million deal. If he could get